Activists and journalists are increasingly the victims of digital security problems like hacking and online censorship. That’s why having secure video conferencing calls or voice calls are essential to keeping your digital footprint minimal. Here are seven things you can do to ensure you aren’t compromising your sources, contacts or your work as an activist or journalist.
1. Keep separate accounts for personal and activist/journalism activities
2. Prevent malware from getting on to your devices
3. Delete chat and call history regularly
4. On Smartphones, use Signal for secure communications
5. Change your passwords regularly
6. Beware of phishing and social engineering attempts
7. Use secure alternatives to Skype, such as JitsiMeet
Want to find more about digital security for your smartphone? Take Security First’s Secure Communications course on Advocacy Assembly for free.