Writing how we talk is essential to creating a good relationship with your listeners for podcasting or any audio storytelling. You want your podcast to sound natural and in order to do that you need to unlearn how you’ve learned to write.
The key question you need to ask yourself is would I actually say this aloud?
Here are a few pointers to help you master audio storytelling when writing your script.
1. Be aware of clauses - Remember, we rarely use them in speech.
2. Keep sentences short and simple - In audio brevity is best.
3. Avoid using words and phrases you wouldn't use in conversation.
4. Be straightforward and clear - In writing for text there is often a temptation to write poetic sentences. In audio, sentence clarity rules.
5. Repeating words is more acceptable in speech.
6. Reread and rewrite your work. If something isn’t working, cut it out.
Want to learn more about podcasting? Sign up for SOWT’s free podcasting course.