Just last week we celebrated Data Privacy Day! Since only 58% of the world have data protection and privacy legislation, we thought this would be a good time to give you some top tips and reminders for protecting yourself online. To mark the day, we take a look at some top tips on how to protect your data.
- While using social media, always take time to check your privacy settings.
- Take note of the privacy check up alerts you receive from social networks
- Pay attention to the apps and services you log in using your social media accounts.
- When sharing tweets or posts, make sure you don’t share your location
- Always check to see who can see what you are posting or commenting on.
- Review the permission of your smartphone apps so you don’t grant data access unwittingly
- Disable your GPS and use it only when needed. This will help stop tracking.
- Add privacy plugins to your browsers to reduce the data collected by third parties.
- Put your VPN on when you connect to a public network.
- Make sure you are using a VPN that doesn’t share your data.
Concerned about your right to privacy? Sign up to Privacy International’s free courses to best understand what your rights are and how to protect them!